This short video from my Inc. Leadership Series suggests mediocre performance will not suffice.
Mediocre Will Not Suffice
Why is the bar set so low?
There are several reasons why business leaders have come to accept mediocrity, including:
- It takes a lot of energy to make things better.
- You want to be liked.
- You don’t want to rock the boat.
- Your brand reputation attracts less ambitious people.
- The sense of entitlement in our society has lowered your expectations.
- You, too, are fairly average.
- You’re in your comfort zone.
- Your business makes money in spite of itself.
What can you do about it?
In this is a short video from a Leadership Series that I shot for INC Magazine, I suggest 3 things to do about it.
- Articulate a vivid and compelling vision.
- Empower staff to take risks.
- Continue to expand your thinking, too.
“Encourage your staff to offer a different point of view. If you do…You’ll drive them from their comfort zone into a (having) a bigger perspective.”
By the way, this topic is covered in greater detail in my latest book:
INDISPENSABLE: How to Build and Lead a Company Customers Can’t Live Without (due out in January).